Hello everyone! It’s time for another Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by the lovely blog the Broke and the Bookish. This week’s theme is Top Ten Characters Who ______. I’ve decided to fill in the blank with Top Ten Characters Who Surprised Me. As I was creating my list, I realized that in many cases if I tell you why they surprised me I will be revealing major spoilers. But don’t worry- I won’t spoil anything! If you have read these books then you’ll probably understand why they are surprising.
- Margo Roth Spiegelman from Paper Towns by John Green. Margo surprised me because I didn’t realize how real she was beneath the popular fake appearance that she outwardly projected.
- Severus Snape from Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. Y’all know what I’m talking about.
- Caine from Light by Michael Grant. It’s a spoiler!
- The Brigadier from Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. Again, spoiler!
- Theo Decker from The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Theo surprised me because throughout the entirety of his tragic life (or the part that was discussed in the book) he held on to his sense of conscience when it seemed like everyone around him had let it go.
- Earl from Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews. Earl surprised me because he was a surprisingly deep person despite his limited/vulgar vocabulary.
- Daisy from The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Daisy surprised me because she was just so terrible. Gatsby said so many great things about her that I assumed that at some point we would see a good side of her. But I’m convinced that deep down she was just as superficial and shallow as she was on the outside.
- Emaline from The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen. Spoiler!
- Peter from Allegiant by Veronica Roth. Another spoiler!
- Jane from Crunch Time by Mariah Fredericks. Yup, it’s a spoiler!
What characters have surprised you? Did you experience any of the same feelings about the ones in my list? Let me know in the comments section below!