Happy Tuesday! Since the lovely bloggers behind The Broke and the Bookish are taking a summer hiatus from creating TTT topics, I’ve decided to come up with some of my own for the next few weeks. This week I’ll be sharing my Top Ten Reasons to Love Your Library. As someone who worked at a library throughout my high school years I always look forward to visiting my local one on a regular basis during the summertime. I know everyone has their own personal preferences when it comes to the formats of books they like to read (new, used, borrowed, digital, etc.) but I really think that libraries deserve more credit than they often receive! Here are ten reasons to give your local library a little more love:
1. Borrowing books = FREE. This is an obvious reason, but for many people I think it’s the most important one. I could never afford to buy all of the books I read because that number is just way too high.
2. Variety. Borrowing books from libraries allows me to read as much as I like without having to worrying about wasting money on a book that I might end up not enjoying. You can also check out audio books, DVDs, etc.
3. Convenience. I don’t know about you all, but the nearest bookstore is about half an hour away from the tiny town I live in. That’s the great thing about local libraries—mine is literally three minutes from my house!
4. Cuteness. Who doesn’t love seeing a bunch of adorable kiddos running around the kids’ room all excited about books?
5. Programming. Most libraries have some sort of programming going on, especially during summer when kids are out of school. Even though my local library is super tiny they still hold a lot of fun events like ice cream socials, book clubs, presentations from cool speakers, craft projects, etc.
6. That old book smell. Okay, I know this is a weird reason but just hear me out. You know sort of musty smell that books get with age? I love that smell, and my local library is full of it.
7. Spontaneous reading. Some of the best books I’ve ever read have been ones that I’ve randomly plucked from the shelves of the library. One example of this is Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta, which I picked up on a whim one day in middle school because it seemed interesting. It is now one of my all-time favorite books and I definitely wouldn’t have read it without seeing it on a library shelf!
8. Librarians. Librarians are the best. Not only are they super helpful when you need to find a book, but they also give the best recommendations. (Shout out to my high school librarian!!)
9. Finding things in books! This is another weird reason, but I’ve found so many cool things in books I’ve borrowed from the library. My favorites have been stickers, random notes, and those due date cards that we don’t use anymore.
10. Community. One of my favorite things about going to my local library is catching up with my former coworkers. Even if you haven’t worked at your local library there is nearly always a vibrant, friendly community of book lovers to be found there! Between book clubs, events, and general discussion at the circulation desk, there are plenty of opportunities to socialize with other bookworms.
Do you use libraries a lot? Why or why not? What are your favorite things about libraries? Let me know in the comments section below!