Folks, I’m here to tell you that I have discovered my long-lost love: the London Underground. I had never used the tube until a few weeks ago when my friend and I made a spontaneous trip to London for the day (click here to see the resulting bookshop crawl) and now my life has changed. Without further ado, here are eight reasons why I love the London Underground:
1. It’s easy to use. I’m just going to come right out and admit it: I am a horrible navigator. Thank goodness I live in the age of Google maps and cell data because otherwise I would likely still be lost somewhere. However, the tube is SO EASY to use– so easy that even I can do it!
2. It’s efficient. Perhaps I went on a day that wasn’t that busy, but my friend and I hardly had to wait for a tube to arrive whenever we needed one. Definitely beats waiting for buses or trains!
3. So. Many. Escalators. Because the tube is underground there are many escalators leading up to the street level. Not only are very strange– you have to stand on the right side so people can walk up them on the left– they’re also SUPER steep.
4. “Mind the gap.” I love the vaguely passive aggressive announcements repeatedly reminding everyone to “mind the gap” whenever the tube stops.
5. Comfy seats. Honestly, how are some seats on the tube so comfortable? That’s one form of transportation that I wouldn’t mind commuting on!
6. The logo. The tube has such excellent branding. I love how simple the logo is and the fact that everything coordinates so nicely from stop to stop.
7. Oyster cards. Prepaid cards make using the tube in a hurry so much easier than buying tickets every time. It’s also nice to not have to worry about constantly keeping track of how much you’re spending.
8. Convenience. The efficiency and convenience of the tube allows for maximum touristy-ness and makes sightseeing all over London possible in just a single day. I was definitely grateful to not have to walk all over the city on our bookshop crawl!
And there you have it! I’m looking forward to (hopefully) seeing more of the London Underground in my last few months at Oxford.
Click here to check out other posts in my Holly Goes Abroad series!
Do you like riding on the tube? Do you have a favorite form of public transportation? Do you use public transport on a regular basis? Let me know in the comments section below!
Leave a Reply